Sunday, October 15, 2006

Mystery Solved




















As some of you know, I have been trying to catch a Mantis Shrimp. (see above) I keep hearing the clicking every evening and just shudder. They are vicious things. Okay, not vicious, just really good at hunting and catching prey. So, when one is in your aquarium....

I have been taking a rock from the aquarium and putting it in a bowl every evening. My thought was that it would bail out of the rock to go to the water in the bottom of the bowl. After several tries, the clicking stopped. It seemed as though I had the little sucker. Waiting....waiting....no one in the bowl. Hmmm. After the rock had been out of the tank for many hours, I knew I had to put it back. Pouring water on it was just keeping things doing ok. I didn't want all the inhabitants of the rock to croak. So I put it back. Guess what was in the bottom of the bowl? A teeny tiny pistol shrimp. (See below) What a relief.

I have since found several others. That explains the crazy clicking all the time. I thought a Mantis was on a murdering rampage, but it was just a few Pistols telling everyone to back off.




No comments: