Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Bad Dogs

Yesterday, while driving to work, I noticed two dogs of medium size by the side of the road. They were lying in a field at the top of a ditch. Both of these pups looked like they had met their last day. They were forlornly looking into the ditch as if it were an insurmountable problem and they had just given up trying to jump across it. Both were wet, muddy and pitiful looking. One of them had what appeared to be blood all over one leg.

I am a sucker for a stray. Ask the herds of cats outside. And inside. Sheesh. So, anyway, I stop the car and try to get these dogs to jump across the ditch to me. No can do. They both just whimpered and looked into the ditch. I assumed there must be another dog in the ditch and that is why they continued to stay there. Silly me. I walk over to the ditch and look down in it. What did I see? A huge dead deer floating in the water. YUCK! I looked back up at these dogs and both were now standing up and wagging their tails. Then I saw that they both had on collars and while they were filthy, they seemed to be in good health. It turns out that the blood on the dog came from the deer. I won't go into detail on how I know that. YUCK! They continued to look at me and at the deer as if I was going to help them get it out of there. I don't freaking think so. I wished them luck and got back into my car and went to work.

No comments: